Mind Mapping Tips
A mind map is a visual representation or diagram of information that has a central idea surrounded by connected branches of associated topics.
A mind map is used to:
- display connections between concepts
- generate ideas, or
- classify information
A mind map is usually a multi-colored diagram containing words and images that are connected in various ways. The information on a mind map is arranged intuitively according to the importance of the concepts.
Mind Mapping Tips
The following is a list of Mind Mapping Tips:
- Use just key words or simple phrases.
- Put key words and main ideas on lines, in boxes, or in circles. This reinforces the structure of connections.
- Print rather than write in script. It makes them more readable and memorable. Joined writing can be more difficult to read.
- Use capital letters for main themes and lower case letters for sub-themes
- Use different sizes and styles of lettering because the size and style of the letters provide insight into the importance and meaning of the word.
- Use symbols and images as much as you can. Pictures can aid memory more effectively than words.
- Vary the thickness and length of the lines used to connect ideas and concepts.
- Use shapes, circles, and frames to connect information. They are additional tools to help show the groupings and relationships of information
- Provide as many visual cues as you can to emphasize important points.
- Use multiple colors to separate ideas, group concepts, associate themes, and to aid in visual stimulation.
- Use arrows, lines, or other cross links to show connection between different sections. Information in one part of the Mind Map may relate to another part. Cross-links help to see how one part of the subject affects another.
- Think multi-dimensional. Add a new dimension by drawing boxes around the word or image to add depth.
- Enclose some branches of a Mind Map with circles or boxes to delineate importance.
- Use your imagination and be creative. Creativity aids memory. Allow your thoughts to come freely.