General Study Strategies
- Establish a comfortable physical environment
- Libraries, study lounges or private rooms are the best quiet places to study.
- Avoid studying in noisy places where there are many distractions such as cafeterias, recreation rooms, or lounges
- Relax and set a positive attitude
- Go to all the review sessions if they are offered.
- Picture yourself doing well
- Study when you are rested, alert, and have planned for it. Last minute studying just before a class or test is not effective
- Create a strategy for budgeting your time. Allocate a certain amount of time each day for each class
- Study a little every day – Repetition is the key to learning
- Be consistent with study times
- Never study within 30 minutes of going to sleep
- Use lots of multicolored highlighters to delineate importance in text and notes
- Study beyond simple recognition of the information
- When studying concepts – study to know, not just to memorize. If you memorize you will not be able to apply it.
- Some things have to be memorized like facts – make lists of them and give yourself enough time to memorize the information
- Use flash cards or note cards for vocabulary and key concepts